Saturday, May 15, 2010

WTE Pt2- KHAO THAI


We like to roll deep with our crew. Yeah, we're kinda like a gang, no, we won't shoot up a convenience store, but yeah, we'll roll up in a 6 deep crew and eat you out of house and home. HA!

This past week the crew rolled down to Khao Thai, the new thai place in town that opened up around the same time we did. Their menu spans everything from curries to pad thai, and other traditional dishes. There is a variety of thai beverages, but I would recommend asking first if something has dairy in it. I ordered the Thai Iced Tea, but to my dismay it had dairy cream. I was going to give it to my omni buddy, but she still took it off my bill, which was cool. Also, remember when ordering that you are conversing with someone who's first language was not English, so as always remember to be patient and anunciate. (I have a soft spot for ESLs)

As for the appetizers, my main lady ordered the fried tofu. If you're a vegetarian/vegan, you know when someone prepares tofu is someone who doesn't eat it on the reg. It was unseasoned, pan fried triangles of tofu (about 8 tiny ones) for 4.99$. I didn't taste any, but I don't think I would have ordered it. For her mainsky she got the veggie Thai Garden- carrots, cabbage, baby corns, snow peas, and cubes of tofu in a tamari based sauce, and it came with a side of white rice.

My other lady got the pad thai, and let me try a smackerel of hers, which was unlike any pad thai I've ever made. Granted- my pad thai is totally my own recipe, so it was at least nice to try something legit. She got the vegetarian pad thai, but if you are vegan be sure to ask for it *without* egg. It was made with mei fun (thin rice noodles) and had the peanuts on the side, and also had mung bean sprouts, which I envy.

I myself, wanted to try something I'd never had before, so I went with the green veggie curry. Now here is where for me it is a little difficult to just enjoy something. While the curry was absolutely AMAZING, I noticed the vegetables in my curry and in my main lady's Thai Garden were the same cut and variety. That's just me being an ass I guess, but you'll have that. I had a really hard time trying to figure out the spice structure of the curry. The only curries I've ever made were a sadder attempt than a white boy in Compton. It was all super tasty when mixed up with the rice. The tofu cubes weren't seasoned, but the sauce compensated nicely.

After we were finished the hostess asked us if we would like to look at a menu for dessert, we said yes, and then she just walked away. When she returned, and we asked if we could get the fried bananas without honey, she outright refused to make them. Literally. "I won't make them without it."

So, the long and short of Khao Thai is, if we're still using a 4 star scale, maybe a 1 out of 4. I'm not a huge thai fanatic, and as someone who has customer service as part of their job, was completely unimpressed with their skills to make guests feel welcome. The food was good, but there is just something about being the only group in the dining room with someone hovering like a vulture, and then being pretty much rude. We always like to tip phenomenally especially at small businesses, this was the first in awhile that I've considered tipping average. I don't know, I hate to say anything negative but to be brutally honest I was just turned off.

All in all. Can a vegan eat there and not get violently ill? O yah! They at least made an effort with a vegetarian option, small steps!

For next time, I'll maybe write a sonnet on Kitchen 1201's sushi...

Keep eatin' and keep readin'!

No comments: