Saturday, May 15, 2010

Ghetto Italiano

I don't eat pasta a lot. It's carby, starchy, makes me feel bloaty and have a headache, but damn when I got a hankering you just gotta scratch that itch. The night before last I was about to meet up with the crew at my main lady's place, but I needed that quick fix. Pasta del Pobre!

Boil some water, small pot, or if you're really that hungry I guess you could grab that huge ass one, but remember your water will take longer to boil.

Salt your water. This is essential. Italians believe your pasta water should be salty as ocean water, probably because that's what them old codgers were using back in the day when they decided noodles would be a good idea. Also, I like to add a little olive oil to my water. I feel it helps prevent clumpy noodles.

Ok. Noodles done yet? I used whole wheat fetuccini, but use whatever pasta speaks to you. When those pups are al dente, drain off the water and throw about 1-2 tsp Earth Balance and about 3 tsp minced garlic in the drained pot with the noodles.

Sautee for a minuto or dos and add next a little bit of tomato paste, basil, oregano, parsley, and marjoram. Toss together til all the noodles are covered in tomate and herb. Then the crowning glory: top with Daiya Mozzarella. Enjoy!

5 ingredients, 30 min, 2 seconds (to inhale).

This is also something quick you can improvise to bulk it out to be more than a fancy snack. Try adding chiffonade basil leaves, mushrooms, spinach, anything really. Maybe one of these days I'll give you my tofu-ball recipe. I'll have to think about it ;-)

Love love love! Keep eatin and keep readin (don't forget to cook once in awhile)

No comments: