Saturday, March 21, 2009

Kitchen Gardening


WTF? Kitchen gardening? Yep yep. When it's still cold and frosty out, you can have fresh greenery at your whim. This latest "science project" of mine came out by accident. At my workplace, some green onion/scallion butts (the white part with the root that many people do not like to eat) were going to be composted, so I threw them in a jar of water, as I intended to just take them home and eat them. Being the scatterbrain that I am, I forgot to take them home, so the following evening brought 'em back to the crib and left them on the kitchen table. To my surprise, they started growing! After a few days and inches of growth, I emptied the water and put in some organic potting soil. Within a few days of having almost met certain death in a compost bucket, they were almost a foot tall! I know this isn't really cooking, but something like these little onions are nice to have on hand if you only want to use a little bit here and there. Think of it as part of your herb garden.

To recreate this, after using all but the bottom 3 inches of the scallion (the roots MUST still be intact), let them chill in some water, roots down. When some growth has ocurred, you can empty the water and spoon in some dirt around them, tapping the bottom to make sure they're snug. Just be careful to not overwater. A jar (obviously) has no holes on the bottom, so water sparingly. If you can see the water rolling around through the sides, you're good to go.

Let's hear it for recycling!

No comments: